Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Fourplay Fetish Feature: An Interview with Roxy Katt

Continuing our Fourplay Fetish Feature on the gang at Wordwooze Publishing, Roxy Katt has stopped by to chat with us.

♥ Thank you so much for taking the time to join us - we are so very delighted to have you! For those readers who have yet to encounter your work, can you give us a brief introduction?

Well, I write lesbian and phallogyne bondage and humiliation erotic fiction.  I tend to center around certain fetish elements such as leather, rubber, and metal.  "Phallogyne" is a term I coined to describe any sort of woman with a penis: a transwoman who does not want genital reassignment surgery, a futa, a woman in a sci-fi story from a planet of penis-bearing women, whatever.  Right now I'm more in a mood to be writing phallogyne as opposed to strictly lesbian or f/f fiction, but lesbian material seems to sell better.

I tend to put a significant amount of comedy in my work, especially of a slapstick nature.  This doesn't mean my characters are running around throwing pies at each other, but very often the element of humiliation is linked to comedy.

♥ If it’s not too personal of a question, where does lifestyle experience end and vicarious fantasy begin within your fiction?

Well, I'm very private that way.  I'm not really involved in any sort of club scene or anything like that, though I have done BDSM.  My work is mostly too outlandish to be something based on real life experience, exactly.  For example, a lot of BDSM fiction is a portrayal of that lifestyle in a more or less realistic manner--or at least, an attempt at a realistic manner.  Two or more people get together and say, "let's try some kink," and then it's on with the catsuit and out with the cuffs and the paddle, or whatever.  In my work, if a character is wearing a catsuit it's not usually expressly for kinky purposes.  It's because she is an actual cat burglar, a super heroine or super villain, or a spacewoman, or whatever.  So there is usually a high fantasy element in my fiction--not just fantasy as sexual fantasy, which is what erotica is of course, but the non-sexual elements of the story tend to be fantasy as well.  Even if the setting is in the "real" world, the sex that takes place is in a context you would not have expected it, necessarily.

♥ On that note, is there a personal fetish or a fantasy that you have yet to explore in your fiction?

I guess I have not done a lot of clothing inflation stories, though that is one of my fetishes.  I suppose I hang back a little because there does not seem to be a great market for them.  Most of the inflation fetishists are into body inflation, not clothing.  And the body thing does not interest me.

I am not into scat at all, though I have toyed with the idea of someone being taken advantage of while in the vulnerable position of sitting on a toilet or answering nature's call in the woods.  I do write about armour (either mediaeval armour or sci-fi armour) and some day I might write a story about some lesbian or phallogyne amazon heavily laden in her suit of steel  trying to answer nature's call.  She  would probably have a very awkward time dismounting from her horse during her search for a dragon, opening up her complicated suit, and doing what must be done.  I would not focus on or even mention the excrement in such a story, because I would personally find that distasteful.  What I would focus on is how her suit and her position would make her completely helpless when some libidinous female peasant stumbles upon her...

Goodness.  It looks like I'm slipping into a story.  I'll stop.

♥ You have been published for a couple of years now, with several stories available. What was it that prompted you to begin writing?

I've actually been writing and publishing for quite a while, though by no means constantly, for 20 years or so. I have not produced a lot of works, by the standards of an erotica writer.  All told there are about 20 of my works as singles or in anthologies on the net or in bricks and mortar bookstores.  My first publication was in the first issue of HEAVY RUBBER MAGAZINE back in 1997.  Only in the last while have I been making a concerted effort to put up more work.  Most of it is self-published on Amazon and Smashwords.

I think it was probably sheer sexual desire that got me writing.

I have been trying to publish non-erotic literary fiction.  Well, it's not erotica though it is pretty sexy and does have some of the overtones of my sex stories.  It's tough to get the time to write and promote in both genres.

♥ With reader reviews so crucial to generating exposure, what are some of the weirdest or most wonderful reactions you’ve had from readers?

I get mostly positive reviews, and most of the negative reviews come from people who honestly say that the kinks in my stories were not really for them.  Sometimes people will say something odd like "the writing is really great and I like this a lot, but it's not very erotic."  I think that's a little odd--about it not being erotic.  What I like is when reviewers are not only turned on by the work but like the characters and the humour. It's really gratifying when someone says that they find the work sexy, but that the work is a great read even without the sex.

♥ Having explored the realm of self-publishing, what attracted you to the shelves of Wordwooze Publishing?

I was actually asked by Wordwooze if they could publish three of my works under one cover: "Naughty Tales of Leather and Latex."  This was wonderful.   We live in an age where an increasing number of publishers make it a policy to reject works not with a rejection letter, but dead silence.  "Don't contact us if we don't answer: that's a no."  Well, when a publisher actually likes your work enough to ask for it without having been queried to begin with, that's a really good sign.  Also, Wordwooze is very selective.

♥ Finally, looking towards a brighter, more fantastic 2017, what can readers look forward to seeing from you next?

I've been trying to spread out and send some material to larger numbers of publishers--just to widen exposure.  We'll see what comes of that.  I might just put my newest works up at Amazon and Smashwords myself.  I like the control.

I've written a comical erotic romance novella called "Leather, Livery, and Love" that I've been sending out to publishers.  One or two other things as well.

I've grown to like writing fellatio stories.  In popular culture, cock sucking is so often seen as an act where the sucker is subservient, and the suckee (usually a man) is in charge.  If anyone is reluctant, it's the cocksucker.  I love to reverse this.  In my phallogyne fiction the cock and balls are seen as something vulnerable and to be protected.  I put a cock on a woman and then feminize it.  Or rather, I bring out what I see as the feminine nature of the cock and of bearing one.  My phallogynes may do adventurous things like dragon fighting, motorcycle riding, and space travel, but they are largely femmes and guard their privates (or try to) with becoming modesty.

I'm working on a vampire story--except its not blood the vampire's interested in sucking.

♥ I love that term, phallogyne, and I love what you do with it - thanks again for taking the time to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment