Monday, January 7, 2019

Feather by Drew A. Lennox (bdsm romance erotica)

Edge, the first book of the Discovering BDSM series from Drew A. Lennox, was one of my most pleasant surprises of last year. Romantic and realistic, it had a fantastic couple who I just fell in love with, and was told so beautifully that I never wanted the book to end.

To be entirely honest, I was a little hesitant about beginning Feather. I was afraid it could never match the original. As it turns out, I was right. It does not match the original . . . it so completely and totally exceeds it. I mean, everything I wanted to see in this second volume is here, and so much more.

Where the first book was a slow-burning romance, the sequel is more a romantic exploration of the BDSM scene. Charlie has already accepted Xander's collar, and is eager to continue exploring what it means to be his submissive. That is not to say that things come easy - there are genuine challenges and obstacles along the way - but every stripe is earned, accepted, and appreciated.

Once again, Lennox demonstrates a wonderful understanding of the power exchange dynamic, exploring the intellectual, emotional, and physical elements. There is no instant cut-over to perfect submissive, no single moment where Charlie becomes leaves her vanilla life behind. Instead, we see her continue to grow into her role and to thrive within it, finding new pleasures that surprise them both. We also get to see how Xander owns and dominates a submissive, keeping her on a short leash, and yet never forgetting the niceties of aftercare. There is a single scene involving a vibrating bullet, a bit of public humiliation, a verbal confrontation, and a tender bit of aftercare that demonstrates more about what BDSM is all about than anything else I have ever read.

The whole story is an incredibly erotic, wonderfully sensual read that had me feeling warm inside and out. There were so many little moments that spoke to my heart, so many words of wisdom that had me fingering my own throat, that I felt like I had finally found a book that understood me. And that, right there, is the power of Lennox's storytelling. It does not matter what gender you are or what role you play, you will find something of yourself here with which to identify. The story, the experiences, the pleasures, and the pain, it all resonates with a strength that is undeniable. There are some edgy moments to Feather, and more than a little mystery, and it has left me hungry for the third chapter.


No comments:

Post a Comment