Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gender's Hourglass by Cybele Marcia Carte (REVIEW)

I'm an avid reader of books in the transgender genre with an additional long-term passion and interest in fantasy and science fiction. Gender's Hourglass (Second Edition) is a fine novel satisfies me on all these levels.

Cybele Marcia Carter spins an ingenious tale of gender transition through time travel, grabbing me from the very first paragraph, when she writes:

"It was odd, closing my eyes in 2012 and opening them in 1972. But stranger things have happened to me. Like living my life in two genders."

The author goes on to weave a most interesting, creative, and realistic tale, rich in nostalgia and 'what-if' scenarios, one that conjures up similar emotions felt when reading the haunting H.G. Wells novel, The Time Machine. It is a story that I didn't want to end. I could say more, but I don't want to ruin the impact for other readers. PS. I always overlook minor editing issues on powerful books that are self published. There are a some here, but I consider them of little consequence to the total picture.


[Reviewed by Samuel]

No comments:

Post a Comment