Saturday, February 5, 2011

100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader

Ashley McAllister, over at Bitch Media, has posted her 100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader. While I haven't historically been a big reader of YA fiction, I was surprised by how many books on the list I've either read or are anxious to read:

3. Choir Boy by Charlie Anders
13. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
16. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
37. Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
50. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’engle
53. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
55. Ash by Malinda Lo
62. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
73. Luna by Julie Anne Peters
74. Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
78. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
94. Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger


You can read the entire list HERE, and I also recommend you check out Jackie Parker Interactive Reader blog for some commentary on the ridiculous debate over whether certain books really deserved to be included (and Bitch Media's awkward decision to censor their own list).

All controversy aside, I'd love to know which ones you've read . . . want to read . . . or would add to the list.

1 comment:

  1. I think that some of the best books are coming out in the YA field. YA books move the plot along and the authors grab the imagination of the reader. I've read several of the books on the list and plan to read more.

    Those I've read are:
    4. Speak--Laurie Halse Anderson
    16. Graceling--Kristen Cashore
    23. The Hunger Games--Suzanne Collins
    37. Annie on My Mind--Nancy Garden
    42. Howl's Moving Castle--Diana Wynne Jones
    78. The Golden Compass-Philip Pullman

    I can recommend all of these books. Each is different and I don't want to give away what happens in each. (I have a tendency to overdo a short synopsis.)

    There are many more books on that list I want to read--probably all of them but I don't have the time but when I retire I'm going to find the time to read them if I don't get to them before then. YA authors put together concise stories that draw you in and make you want to know what happens to the characters. This is a fantastic time for those looking for YA books.

    ReplyDelete