Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday - Tango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High Heels

"Waiting On" Wednesday spotlights upcoming releases that everyone's excited about (created by Jill at Breaking The Spine.)


Technically, this doesn't really count as book that I'm waiting on, since I was fortunate enough to get an early review copy last week, but I'm still excited to share:

Tango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High HeelsTango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High Heels by Justin Vivian Bond: With a recent diagnosis of attention deficit disorder, and news that his first lover from childhood has been imprisoned for impersonating an undercover police officer, Bond recalls in vivid detail coming of age as a trans kid. Always haunted by the knowledge of being "different," Bond was further confused when the bully next door wanted to meet secretly. Their trysts went on for years, and made Bond acutely aware of sexual power and vulnerability. With inimitable style, Bond raises issues about LGBTQ adolescence, homophobia, parenting, and sexuality, while being utterly entertaining. [Release date: August 23, 2011]

The lovely Mx. Justin is a Tony-nominated performance artist who has toured the world, headlining at Carnegie Hall, the Sydney Opera House, London's Queen Elizabeth Hall, and (of course) Broadway. That alone would be a life-story worth reading, but knowing a bit about a childhood "backwards and in high heels" has me eager to indulge.

How about you? What are you anxiously awaiting next week? Share your comments below, because there's no such thing as having too many books in your TBR pile!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awsome book,,,Im definately writing it down,,,in my TBR pile..
    thanks for sharing
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard up this book up until now so thank you for sharing! It looks rather interesting :) Here's my WoW: http://tiny.cc/r3y9u

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it :)

    Thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really unique read with some great issues to ponder! Adding to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete