Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Terry Pratchett Cozies Up With Mort

I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand, the eventual loss of Terry Pratchett will be a definite blow to both the fantasy and the humor communities. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can imagine anything more horrifying than being an author, a creative genius, and having to live out the rest of your days not even remembering who you are, much less who your characters are.

Terry Pratchett starts process to take his own life

MortWhether you agree with him or not, you can't help but be sympathetic. Terry is a wonderful author and, by all accounts, a wonderful man. He will definitely be missed . . . the only question is if he'll still be around (physically) to remind us of what we're missing.

Personally, I hope Mort (Death) is the same wryly humorous old soul that Terry has always told us about. Heck, Rincewind escaped him more than once . . . but maybe that was just to buy Terry a little more time.

Personally, I'd like to say a HUGE THANKS to Terry Pratchett now, while he's still able to appreciate it. It's not my place to suggest his thoughts on assisted suicide are right or wrong - I don't think you really can, until you've faced the decision yourself - but I know a world without his magic definitely is wrong, regardless of whether the laughter dies, or slowly fades away.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I feel exactly the same way. I support him, but the world will be a much less funny place without him. I can't judge his choice, especially since I'm an advocate of a patient's right to choose. At the same time, I can't imagine being able to find another author who makes me laugh quite as much as Pratchett does.

    I, too, hope that Death is exactly how he imagines him to be. I think they'd get on quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAIT... WHAT??? I had to look this up after reading what you wrote. Thanks for sharing. I am quite sad for the author. I love his books and just don't know what to say. Alzheimers is so sad and I am afraid my parents will get it. I hope all the best for him.

    Angie

    XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete